Monday, December 7, 2009

Enjoying Home Ownership or My Weekends Are No Longer My Own


This weekend Scott and I decided that it was time to tackle one of the projects on our list that was way overdue, painting the hall closet. I am sure that some of you are thinking "How can painting the hall closet be at that top of our to do list? How bad can it possibly be?" Let's just say my nickname for the closet is "the mouth of hell." One of the former owners decided that painting the closet in glossy (shudder) bright red paint would be an excellent idea! This combined with the lack of hanging space made the closet virtually unusable.



After careful consideration we decided to go with Behr Premium Plus Paint and Primer in Swiss Coffee. I know this will sound like a commercial but the paint has done an excellent job of covering the red paint without the extra step of priming the walls. Unfortunately the walls were not in good shape and we took down some of the shelving and non-functional hooks so I spent quite a while patching the plaster. I have to thank my father for teaching my how to spackle dry wall as a child, this practice came in very handy! We were a little concerned that the original paint contained lead and the the sanding would present a health hazard so were were careful to wear face masks.



We still have one more coat to do and we need to get a saw in order to take down the remaining strips of hooks (you don't want to know) but even in its rough state it is a huge improvement!

No comments: